Firebreaks and Burning Permits

All City residents/occupiers must comply with the City’s Fire Control Order. Requirements for rural and suburban blocks vary in works required.  

Rural property owners must prepare and maintain a continuous firebreak, and comply with any additional works proscribed by the City to further reduce your property’s fire hazard. Hazard Reduction Burning is not permitted in residential, industrial or commercial areas. Rural and property owners may burn during the Unrestricted Burning Time (generally 1 June until and including 30 September) without a Fire Permit.

During the Restricted Burning Time (1 April until and including 31 May and 1 October until and including 30 November) rural residents can conditional burn once they receive a valid Fire Permit from the City’s Fire Control Officers. 


A Firebreak is an area where flammable material, such as wood, leaves and grass has been cleared to minimise the spread of fire.

Firebreaks must be constructed and maintained against the property boundary.


  • Can reduce the spread of fire

  • Can be used to isolate hazards and protect assets

  • Allow safe access for fire fighting vehicles

  • Provides a control line to assist brigades during firefighting.

Firebreaks are due by 1 November each year and must be maintained to 15 April of the following year. Extensions will not be granted. Visit Department of Fire and Emergency Services to see if you are bushfire ready and for information on total fire bans.

If you receive a letter from the City outlining works you need to undertake to reduce fire risks, you must comply with the advice before the due date or a contractor will be appointed by the City.

Firebreak contractors

Please note this list for information only. The City takes no responsibility for those contractors listed and property owners are themselves responsible for the correct installation of firebreaks.

City firebreak contractor

Adelby Pty Ltd is the City’s sole contractor for Firebreak Construction Services and can be contacted on 08 9498 7124 or at Please visit the Yellow Pages for other firebreak contractors.  

Fire control order

The City’s Fire Control Order details fire mitigation works required during specific periods of the year. Property owners and occupiers must comply with the Fire Control Order as stated in the Bush Fire Act 1954. Property owners and occupiers may receive penalties or fines for not complying with the Fire Control Order.

Fire Control Order Variations

If you think that you will not be able to comply with the requirements of the Fire Control Order, you must submit a request for variation in writing to the City’s Fire & Emergency Management section before 1 October. You must comply with the conditions of the approved variation. Unless you receive written confirmation from the City of an approved Fire Control Order variation you must comply with the requirements of the original Fire Control Order.

Burning permits

Without any exception, no fire may be lit on a day when the fire danger is declared as very high – severe, or extreme – catastrophic. You cannot undertake any activities that have the potential to start a fire during a total fire ban. Heavy penalties may apply.

Burning vegetation on land that is being cleared for development is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act (1986). No burning permit will be issued and the vegetation must be disposed of by other means.

All areas zoned residential, commercial or industrial

You are not permitted to burn at any time in areas zoned residential, commercial or industrial.

Areas zoned rural

Restricted burning period
This is between 1 April and 31 May and 1 October and 30 November. During this time, you will need to obtain a Permit to Set Fire to the Bush from the City of Cockburn before starting any burning.
Unrestricted burning period
This is between 1 June and 30 September. You do not need a burning permit.
No burning allowed
This is between 1 December and 31 March. No burning is permitted unless declared otherwise by the Minister of Fire and Emergency Services or the City’s Chief Bush Fire Control Officer.

Please note these periods can vary at Council’s discretion. Permit holders are responsible for verifying the current dates with Council. To determine the current fire danger level, ring 1196.

No fire may be lit on a day when the fire danger is declared as very high, extreme, severe or catastrophic.

Rural 1m³ burning

If you live in an area which has been zoned rural, you can burn off tree branches and leaves without a permit outside of the Prohibited Burning Time, so long as you comply with the Bush Fires Act 1954 and the following guidelines:  

  • Light the fire between 6pm and 11pm and have it put out before midnight.

  • Notify your neighbours

  • Have a clear area around the fire area of five metres

  • Have equipment on hand to control the fire (ie. a garden hose)

  • One person remains onsite for the entire time the fire is lit

  • The area to be lit up is no larger than 1m³ and does not contain materials such as plastics or wet lawn clippings that may produce offensive smoke.

If you cannot meet these requirements, you will need to dispose of the materials by other means or obtain a valid Permit to Set Fire to the Bush from a City of Cockburn Fire Control Officer. 

Rural burning of bush or scrub during the Restricted Burning Time

You will need to obtain a Permit to Set Fire to the Bush. Please note the following:

  • Residents can obtain as many permits as required to conduct bushfire hazard reduction on their property

  • If you are unable to meet the requirements of the Permit to Set Fire to the Bush, you must discuss this with the Fire Control Officer at the time of issue. You may receive a penalty if you fail to comply

  • If you are unable to meet the requirements of your fire permit, it is an offence to approach another fire control officer for a new permit.   

More information and contact

Please contact the Emergency Management and Projects Coordinator for more information on firebreaks and burning permits on 08 9411 3444 or at

Social Media Share Links below open in a new window



9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

Po Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Visit the City of Cockburn homepage