You may require building and/or planning approval to construct a sign in Cockburn. Find out if you need approval, how to apply and application procedures.
Depending on the type of sign/advertising that is proposed, you may require a Sign Licence, and in some instances you may also need Planning Approval.
Please submit your Sign Licence Application to the City's Building Services and a Planning Approval application (if required) to the City's Statutory Planning Service.
Some signs can be constructed without any approvals if Building and Planning Legislation exempts them. Signs and advertising exemptions are dependent on:
- Sign face of the proposed sign or advertising structure
- Zoning of the land the sign will be erected on.
Direction Signs provide road users with general information and a way to a facility of interest to the community, which is located on a side street. Direction signs are not advertisement signs for any private or public companies.
Guidelines for direction sign applications
Please comply with the following guidelines for direction signs:
- Sign inscriptions must be short and concise to enable passing vehicles to scan all the information and make a decision safely within the time available
- Direction signs inscriptions must be of a generic nature of a facility. Company names will not be accepted. However, consideration may be given to include the name of a not-for-profit group or community organisation and if a name is of 16 characters or less in total
- Community groups and businesses can apply for up to two signs. The signs must be located at intersections on major roads closest to the premises.
If you wish to proceed, please note that all enquiries must be directed to the City’s Engineering Services. The City’s Building and Planning Services do not address this issue.
Direction sign application procedure
- In person: Complete the Application Form, pay the application fee (stated in the form), attach a copy of the receipt with the application and request the Cashier of the City to forward the documentation to the Manager Engineering Services
- By post: Send the completed Application Form and a cheque for the application fee payable to the City of Cockburn. Please mark "Direction Sign(s)" on the back of the cheque and forward the documentation to:
City of Cockburn
PO BOX 1215,
Bibra Lake DC, WA, 6965
The City will advise you the outcome of your application within four to eight weeks. If your application is successful, you will be advised of the details of approval (i.e. inscription on the signs and their locations) and the costs payable to the City for the manufacture and installation of the approved signs. Do not pay the costs of sign manufacture and installation until approval is given. You will be advised in writing of the exact amount payable.
If you wish to proceed, please make a cheque payable to the City of Cockburn for the amount specified in the letter of confirmation, mark Direction Sign(s) on the back of the cheque and forward it to the attention of the Manager Engineering Services.
The approved signage will be manufactured and erected as soon as practicable, upon receipt of payment.
Direction sign application refusal
The City will not grant applications for direction signs if:
- They are located at traffic signalled intersections
- A community facility or business premises is located adjacent to a major road
- There are already three direction signs at an intersection.
Direction Sign Removal
Please note that the City will remove an approved Direction Sign, without notifying the sign holder, after the following expiry date, whichever comes first:
- The first day of January, five calendar years after an approval is given
- When the community / organisation / business ceases to exist at the location stated in the Application Form.
The City reserves the right to remove a Direction Sign, whenever it is deemed necessary, without compensation or notification to the sign holder, especially in circumstances where the sign has been badly damaged by vandalism or vehicle collisions.
New applications are assessed on a "first in first served" basis
The City covers the manufacture and installation costs of Direction Signs. The City does not require a sign holder to pay an ongoing annual site rental or maintenance fee. If you require the City to undertake any replacement or maintenance work for a Direction Sign after its installation, you will be liable for the cost of the work.
Please contact Building Services for information on building a sign, or Statutory Planning for planning approval on 08 9411 3444 or at email@example.com