You need to obtain a Demolition Permit from the City’s Building Services for demolition work on a whole or part of a building or structure. In addition, there are health requirements that would need to be complied with, particularly for removing asbestos and the decommissioning of septic tanks. Service providers (ie. Water Corporation, Western Power etc.) need to be notified before demolition work is started.
Under the Building Act 2011, a Demolition Permit is required before any demolition work can commence on a property.
To apply for a Demolition Permit, you need to submit the following:
- A completed Demolition Permit Application Form (BA5) and prescribed application fee (refer to Current Financial Year Building Application Fee Schedule)
- Two (2) copies of a scaled (min 1:200) site plan clearly indicating the building/s or section/s of the building/s to be demolished and the structures to be retained
- Demolition Contractor Worksafe Registration or proof of a valid legislative exemption
- A rat baiting certificate from a licensed pest control company.
You may need to submit a Notice and Request for Consent of Work Affecting Other Land (Form BA20) if the proposed demolition work is likely to adversely affect adjoining land or buildings. In the event that you are unable to gain consent from the affected adjoining land owners, a Court Order to carry out the proposed demolition work must be obtained instead and lodged with your Demolition Permit application.
Please refer to the "Demolition Permit Application Checklist" under related documents below for more information on submission requirements.
Buildings that are to be demolished must be rat baited. There are also specific requirements with regards to the demolition of buildings containing asbestos products, and buildings connected to on-site effluent disposal systems (septic tanks).
Appropriate safeguards must be exercised when handling asbestos during a demolition. Visit the Asbestos page for more information on identifying asbestos products and the requirements of the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992.
Please note that any businesses contracted to remove greater than 10m2 of asbestos are required to hold an asbestos removal licence issued by WorkSafe WA. A list of restricted and unrestricted asbestos removal license holders can be found on the Department of Commerce website.
You may need to decommission an existing septic tank system before undertaking a demolition. This means that:
- All septic tanks, soakwells and/or leach drains are pumped empty by a licensed Liquid Waste Contractor
- All empty septic tanks, soakwells and/or leach drains must be either removed or have their lids and bases broken and filled with clean sand.
Please visit Decommissioning Septic Tanks for more information.
You will need to inform other authorities of your proposed demolition works, including:
- Water Corporation - 13 13 95
- Western Power - 13 10 87
- Alinta Energy - 13 13 58
- Telstra - 1800 283 407
- Worksafe – 1300 307 877
- Heritage Council of WA (State Heritage Office) - 08 6552 4000
Please contact Building Services for more information about the Demolition Permit application process on 08 9411 3444 or at email@example.com.